2018 Dean’s Prize, 1st Place
- Software used: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, Lumion
- Team project (3 total)
For this combined junior/sophomore competition, I led a team in redeveloping two blocks of the Historic Theatre District in Logan, Utah. The site is home to three renovated venues near longstanding commercial and residential areas, as well as a high school and recreation center. It’s also home to the remains of an old mill, which is the oldest man-made structure in the city.
The programming called for a new city library along with increased residential, commercial and green space.
We retained and enhanced the mid-block walkway that extends from the site to City Hall. At one end, we added a theater-inspired outdoor amphitheater and plaza with dining and retail to encourage theater-goers to spend more time downtown.
Other design features:
- service & delivery access lane for existing businesses
- added bus stops
- a food truck plaza with permanent picnic area near offices & the high school
- trails & green space around the historic mill site that also connects to the existing city-wide trail system & recreation center
- two-story parking garage with an exterior reflecting a former mill structure & multi-level access to new retail spaces on Main Street
- a new library with Main Street access through a cafe & overlooking the historic mill & new green space in back
More about the 2018 Dean’s Prize…
Dean’s Prize – InSites Magazine, 2018