2019 Utah Real Estate Challenge, 3rd Place
- Software used: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, Lumion, Sketchup
- Team project (2 business students, 3 designers)
The objective of this statewide competition was to develop a site in downtown Logan, Utah by adding a retail/residential building, public park and parking accommodations.
During the process, we consulted with professional architects and developers who taught us a lot about real world considerations such as the layout of the building and what would be most likely to sell. We also had to be mindful of city codes for building heights, facade treatments and parking requirements while also designing an aesthetically pleasing space that fit in with its surroundings. We wanted it to be an example that could spark future growth on surrounding blocks in downtown Logan.
- 5-story mixed-use building with a variety of residential options from studio to multi-room, short-term to long-term
- gym for residents and a rooftop event space overlooking Main Street & tabernacle square
- main floor dining & space for a local cooking supply store that offers cooking classes
- public park with open space for events & a new home for the local farmers’ market
- splash fountain that converts to an ice rink in winter
Starting with about 15 teams, we were one of three picked to advance to the second round. We took third as the only team with landscape architecture students in a competition dominated for years by graduate-level real estate students.
More about the project…
USU Landscape Team Competes to Present Plans for Emporium Center in Downtown Logan – Herald Journal, 8 Apr 2019
E-Studio – InSites Magazine, 2019